Hypertension is high blood pressure. High blood pressure is a common and dangerous condition. Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against the walls of your arteries, which carry blood from your heart to other parts of your body. Blood pressure normally rises and falls throughout the day. But if it stays high for a long time, it can damage your heart and lead to health problems. Having high blood pressure means the pressure of the blood in your blood vessels is higer than it should be.
High blood pressure is called the "silent killer" because it often has no warning signs or symptoms, and many people do not know they have it. High blood pressure raises your risk for heart disease and stroke. The only way to know if you have it is to measure your blood pressure. Then you can take steps to control it if it is too high.
IMCare offers hypertension disease management to members 18 years and older through our Ways to Wellness program. This educational program can teach you how to manage your hypertension. Ways to Wellness member education for hypertension includes the following topics:
- Regular blood pressure checks and monitoring
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Exercise regularly
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Dietary intervention (DASH)
- Tobacco avoidance
- Moderation of alcohol intake
- Blood pressure medication adherence
- Follow up with healthcare professional about other medications to try if they are having trouble with side effects
- Relaxation and stress management
- Vaccinations (Flu and Pneumococcal)
Membership in the Ways to Wellness disease management program is voluntary. This service is a benefit and there is no charge. If members choose to enroll, their covered services will remain the same. When enrolled members get:
- Support from a registered nurse
- Education about your condition
- Information on covered services
- Self-management techniques
- Coordination of care
Education is provided over the phone or through the mail. Members don’t need to leave home to receive the services.
For more information about Ways to Wellness, call 218-327-5533 or toll free 1-800-843-9536, extension 2533.
- A Guide to a... Healthy Weight
- At A Glance Lowering Your Blood Pressure With DASH
- Building Heart-Healthy Habits for Exercise and Diet
- Coping with Stress Checklist
- Eat Healthy... Eat Vegetables
- Heart-Healthy Eating with Less Salt
- Heart-Healthy Exercise Habit
- High Blood Pressure What Is It
- How To Spot A Stroke
- Hypertension Action Plan
- Messages About High Blood Pressure For Consumers
- My Blood Pressure Goals What Are They
- My High Blood Pressure Action Plan
- Simple Recipes for the Dash Eating PlanSample Menus
- Sodium Food Item Comparison Understanding Food Labels
- Sticking to Quitting... Seven Secrets to Quit Smoking Success
- Sticking With My Medicine What Will Work
- Stress quiz
- The Good News About Smoking...
- What are the Warning signs of Heart Attack
- What You Need to Know About High Blood Pressure